Sweet potato, sweet potato, how do we love thee? Let us count the ways!
Try this quick, easy pan roasted sweet potato recipe and turn your kitchen into an aromatic wonderland!
- The USDA states “one medium sweet potato baked in skin” contains 438% of our daily allotment of Vitamin A (in the form of beta-Carotene). Vitamin A helps maintain healthy skin and strong bones. Vitamin A is also known as retinol, which is “essential to the formation of visual purple in the retina, which allows vision in dim light.” (per the US National Library of Medicine). Dr. Michael Greger’s mic-drop quote regarding the preparation of skin-on sweet potatoes is this, “sweet potatoes are so incredibly healthy the best way to prepare them is whichever way to get you to eat the most of them, (with the exception of deep frying).” Sounds good to us!
- Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, and besides facilitating a sound morning constitution, dietary fiber is crucial for helping lower both cholesterol and blood sugar.
- Historically the sweet potato had uses far beyond food. The brilliant agriculturist George Washington Carver created inks, dyes, synthetic rubber, postage stamp glue and much more from this amazing Southern staple. Pretty cool, pretty neat!
- When selecting a sweet potato from the store, choose those with deep orange hues.
- Sweet potatoes can be prepared ahead of time and frozen, or stored in the refrigerator for 7 – 10 days. Sweet potatoes, like regular potatoes can be ‘baked’ in the microwave, but do not wrap them in foil, obvs 😂
- Sweet potatoes are incredibly cheap for the amount of nutrients you get, they are one of the most healthy and least expensive superfoods available!
This recipe takes a little over one hour, 45 minutes of cooking time on top of approximately 20 minutes of prep time.
What you will need:
3 Tbsp coconut oil for pan (or high heat oil)
5 small quartered sweet potatoes (approx 1/2 lb each)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 Tbsp fennel seed OR cumin seed OR powdered cinnamon
(Your choice, each on its own create a lovely aromatic dish! Soooooo Good! Try them separate or mix-and-match, omg the flavors!)
1/4 cup maple syrup (or molasses)
1 Tbsp dairy-free margarine
Bring pan to low heat, place the sweet potatoes cut side down in oil, cover with lid, set timer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, carefully flip the sweet potatoes onto their skins. Sprinkle each evenly with the salt, pepper, fennel/cumin/cinnamon. Cover and set timer for another 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes add the maple syrup and margarine, toss and cover for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately or keep in fridge for one week!
This amazing side dish pairs perfect with your favorite plant-based holiday feasts, try it today and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
As always, thanks for reading and eat well!
For a mouthwatering archive of foodie pics and all things nutritionally awesome, follow us on Instagram and Twitter!
©2016 ecoRDN 💚